One week later, another school shooting leaves one dead, one wounded at Texas Southern University

by Kelly Ledbetter, |
The scene at a student housing complex at Texas Southern University following a fatal shooting, October 9, 2015. | KTRK Photo/ KTRK

HOUSTON (Christian Examiner) – One person was fatally shot and another was wounded today at 11:30 a.m. at the University Courtyard apartments on the campus of Texas Southern University (TSU)--on the same day that President Obama visited Umpqua Community College in Oregon where nine people were killed by a shooter on Oct. 1.

The historically black university of about 10,000 students was on lockdown on Friday following the shooting.

University spokesperson Eva Pickens broadcast a written statement: "Texas Southern University has announced the campus is on lockdown following a shooting incident just moments ago. Early reports indicate two shot[s] – conditions not known right now. The assailant is still at large. All staff are asked to remain in offices – students to remain in classrooms until further notice."

The alert conditions were raised, but classes were cancelled, and the apartment building where the shooting occurred remained closed.

The Washington Post reports two persons of interest have been detained by the police, who are searching for a third suspect.

This may be the third shooting on TSU campus. In Sept., a student fired into a crowd at an on-campus apartment, wounding two. On Tuesday, one person was injured by a gunshot on campus during an argument.

On Thursday, police responded to calls about a shooting at the same apartment building where the shooting occurred today.

This was also the second campus shooting of the day, following the killing of one and wounding of three fraternity members about 1 a.m. on Northern Arizona University in Flagstaff, Ariz.

According to the Houston Chronicle, the freshman who was killed was "a beautiful young man, trying to get his life together," said TSU President John Rudley.

"I wish he was still here," Rudley said.

No names have yet been released in the TSU shooting.

After the weeks of violence and fear, students say they do not feel safe on campus.

"How do you study and watch your back?" said Daijsa Fowls, 19.