RAQQA, Syria (Christian Examiner) – The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights has reported that a militant fighting for the Islamic State carried out an execution in the city of Raqqa Jan. 6 – an act that would likely go unnoticed if the execution had not been the militant's own mother.
- New ISIS video shows slaughtered victims in horrifying caged drownings & necklace bombs
- Echoes of Hitler Youth: ISIS 'cub' trains under live fire
- ISIS kills 150 women & girls who refused to marry jihadists
- Children & teens execute Syrian soldiers at Palmyra
- Amazon-sold ISIS magazine included theological justification for torture of Yazidi children
- ISIS threatens to behead Obama in video: 'We will reach America,' says militant
- ISIS leader: Don't stop execution videos, but tone them down
- SICK: New ISIS video shows terrorists blowing up captives
- Iraqi Christian child asks God to 'forgive' ISIS
According to the London-based human rights organization, which reports on the abuses of ISIS and other Islamist militants in the country, the woman had asked her son to leave the Islamic State. She was arrested when her son reported her and she was charged with apostasy.
Activists with the Observatory claimed witnesses and other reliable sources in the area relayed to them that the woman executed was from al-Tabqah, about 14 miles away from Raqqa. She was said to be 45 years old. Her son is 20 years old.
Reports from the scene indicate that the woman was executed with a shot to the head by her son in front of hundreds of people near the post office building where she worked. The charge against the woman was "inciting her son to leave the Islamic state and escaping together to the outside of Al-Raqqah," as well as telling her son the international coalition conducting the air war in Syria against ISIS "will kill all members of the organization."
Christian Examiner has not been able to independently confirm the report, but the BBC, Independent and the Times of India all believe the report to be genuine. The papers also named the assassin as Ali Saqr al-Qasem.