Bill Cosby detractors plan to disrupt his shows, comic stays silent as accusers multiply

by Staff |

(REUTERS/Lucas Jackson)Actor Bill Cosby speaks at the National Action Network's 20th annual Keepers of the Dream Awards gala in New York April 6, 2011.

HOLLYWOOD, Calif. (Christian Examiner) -- Bill Cosby's accusers have multiplied since the beginning of this week, with 11 women now publicly coming forward claiming incidents of sexual harassment or rape. Although the family-friendly comedian has come under fire from the public and lost out on two televised deals because of the swirling controversy, his detractors may be hitting even closer to home -- they have planned to protest and disrupt his comedy shows.

Cosby is scheduled to perform in Melbourne, Florida to a sold-out show at the King Center for the Performing Arts, according to People magazine. One Orlando radio show called "The News Junkie" is now offering a $200 Amazon gift card to anyone who heckles the 77-year-old comic while he is performing.

"All you have to do is stand up," host Shawn Wasson said on air. "You got to film it or record the audio."

However, organizers have already taken extra security precautions to ensure something like that doesn't happen. Backstage passes have been denied and police will be on hand, People reported.

Cosby performed in the Bahamas to a standing ovation earlier this week, but three other venues have cancelled. Treasure Island Casino in Las Vegas, Desert Diamond Casino in Tucson and the Virginia Theater in Champaign, Illinois have scratched future events featuring the former Jell-O pudding spokesman.

The news of protests against Cosby comes as five more women have come forward. Linda Joy Traitz said that he offered her pills and groped her at a Los Angeles restaurant in 1969; Louisa Moritz said that the comedian forced oral sex on her before an appearance on "The Tonight Show" in 1971; Carla Ferrigno, the wife of "Hulk" actor and bodybuilder Lou Ferrigno, said he forced a kiss on her at his home in 1967; actress Angela said forced her to touch him inappropriately at a hotel in 1992; and grandmother Kristina Ruehli alleged that Cosby drugged her and tried to rape her in 1965, but she vomited and got away.

Cosby, known internationally as educated and moral head of the Huxtable family, has previously been very open about his faith in God and Christian upbringing, making the latest accusations even more shocking.

The "Cosby Show" star has so far stayed silent about the accusations. His lawyers, Martin Singer and John P. Schmitt, have issued blanket denials of any wrongdoing on the entertainer's part.

"Over the last several weeks, decade-old, discredited allegations against Mr. Cosby have resurfaced," John P. Schmitt stated Sunday. "The fact that they are being repeated does not make them true. Mr. Cosby does not intend to dignify these allegations with any comment."