Bill Cosby accuser seeks lawsuit, comedian finally speaks out in his defense

by Staff |

(REUTERS/Lucas Jackson)Actor Bill Cosby speaks at the National Action Network's 20th annual Keepers of the Dream Awards gala in New York April 6, 2011.

HOLLYWOOD, Calif. (Christian Examiner) -- Bill Cosby accuser Louisa Moritz is seeking to file a class action lawsuit against the comedian for alleged behaviors from decades ago. Moritz, who said that the comedian was sexually inappropriate with her before a "Tonight Show" appearance in 1971, is now reaching out to more women who have publicly accused the 77-year-old comedian so that they will join the suit.

Cosby, known internationally as the educated and moral head of the Huxtable family, previously has been very open about his faith in God and Christian upbringing, making the accusations and possibility of a lawsuit more shocking.

Moritz told TMZ that she is interviewing Los Angeles-area lawyers with the hopes of filing a class action suit. At a minimum, she wants nine other purported victims of Cosby to join her.

The actress, who appeared in films like "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" and "Up in Smoke," said that she was at the green room of the "Tonight Show" in 1971 when Cosby knocked and entered. He reportedly said that he was "impressed" by her work and planned to make her a "major star" before sexually assaulting her.

Although at least 12 women have come out publicly against Cosby, costing him the airing of a NBC sitcom and a stand-up comedy special, critics are doubtful that a class action suit could succeed. The statute of limitations on sexual crimes does not extend to four decades, and Moritz only revealed the comedian's alleged indiscretion last week — she told TMZ she blocked out the memory before then.

Even in Hollywood racial tensions were high in 1971, but Moritz claims Cosby showed no caution.

After weeks of silence, Cosby has started to speak out, briefly, but he has not addressed the specifics of any allegation.

"I know people are tired of me not saying anything, but a guy doesn't have to answer to innuendos. People should fact check. People shouldn't have to go through that and shouldn't answer to innuendos," he told Florida Today.

Cosby's attorney, Marty Singer, also slammed the "decades-old discredited allegations," saying his client's accusers are after money.

"There has never been a shortage of lawyers willing to represent people with claims against rich, powerful men, so it makes no sense that not one of these new women who just came forward for the first time now ever asserted a legal claim back at the time they allege they had been sexually assaulted," said Singer.